- There are five issues that successful investors have when it comes to their wealth.
- The five issues are wealth preservation, tax mitigation, wealth transfer, wealth protection, and charitable giving.
- Once you’re in the stay-rich game, you don’t want to go back to the get-rich game.
Life is full of issues. We worry about our health, family, the economy, the weather, politicians, the government, and so on. I want to look at five issues that successful investors have when it comes to their wealth.
A successful investor in this case, is defined as an investor who has over one million dollars of investable assets. That’s about six million people in the United States. So let’s take a look at the five issues:
- Wealth preservation – This means we want to make sure we don’t lose what we have in the long term, since assets can always go up and down in value from time to time. We want to stay in the stay-rich game, not have to go back to the get-rich game.
- Tax mitigation – I’m looking at this in terms of taxes; we want to pay our fair share of taxes, and nothing more. We want to ensure we do things that reduce or eliminate income taxes, estate taxes, and other taxes.
- Wealth transfer – This is about transferring our wealth from ourselves to our spouses, families, heirs, etc. We want to make sure it’s done efficiently, privately, and exactly in the manner of who, when, where, and how that we want that to take place.
- Wealth protection – We don’t want our wealth unfairly taken from us, and a lot of that could be covered by insurances such as homeowner’s, umbrella, auto, and other kinds of insurance that take care of risk. But in today’s world, cyber theft is also a major concern, so we want to maintain the security of our assets from others that might want to take them from us.
- Charitable giving – About a third of us want to give money to charity in a more formal way through private foundations, donor advised funds, charitable remainder trusts, and other vehicles that are set up specifically to take care of charity now, and in the future.
If you want to know more about these five money issues, I have a book coming out that’s a redo of a current book. It’s going to be called The Wealth of Everything, and if you want to get a copy of that, let us know and we will get one to you.
Until next time, enjoy. Gary
TransformingWealth™ , our proprietary approach, is designed to get your arms around the big picture so you can make informed financial decisions. As part of our process, we use mind mapping – one of the most powerful tools available for bridging the communication gap between different generations. Mind mapping is visual and helps all parties gain a clear picture of all aspects of the financial equation. Ask Gary about mind mapping and Coyle’s TransformingWealth Preview Meeting, and schedule a complimentary consultation and start living the Good Life Managed Well™.
Gary Klaben is in our Glenview, IL office and serves our clients who are now located all over the country. He has over 30 years of experience and is the author of Changing the Conversation, The Wealth Sanctuary and co-author of The Business Battlefield. Whether advising his clients, mentoring his team, or coaching entrepreneurs, he is always simplifying complexity and motivating others to take the next action that’s right for them.
We value your comments and opinions, but due to regulatory restrictions, we cannot accept comments directly onto our blog. We welcome your comments via e-mail and look forward to hearing from you.